NOW
NEXT
LATER
NOW
NEXT
LATER
NOW
NEXT
LATER

The Informer

14 Dec 2017

When sex & sexuality is part of your story, how do you handle online bullying? : 14th December 2017

Health, Interview, Mental Health, News & Politics, Society & Culture, the informer, World News

On this episode of The Informer we explore the themes of social media bullying further as we look at what it means as well as how it is being combated. We speak to victims, experts and activists that use the internet as a way to express and explore themes in our communities and how we can guard ourselves against that being portrayed in a negative light.

First up we speak to Lucy Thomas from the peer group Project Rockit, who, for over ten years have been empowering school students to stand up to hate instead of standing by and watching. Through the lens of cyber bullting, their workshops explore themes of diversity, belonging, respectful relationships, values and ethics while building student voices, leadership and empathy.

JOYs own Benjamin Norris, host of word for word knows about cyber bullying first hand after he won Big Brother back in 2012. He sat down with Dean to talk about what that was like, and how he combats that while still using social media as a platform for promotion and expression

So how do you handle bullying on social media when you use it as a way to express yourself. When adult film actress August Ames was reported in LGBTIQ media in the past weeks, it was because she tweeted she did not want to have sex with someone who had shot gay porn.

After these comments she was relentlessly bullied on twitter for her views, and after someone tweeted she should commit suicide, that is what she did. Now there are more circumstances than just sending a tweet that lead to that moment, but it is an important reminder about how negatively using social media can have greater affects on everyone.

Using this as an example, The Informers Dan and Cait spoke with Andy Ruddack from the Monash University faculty of arts about how when it comes to sex and sexuality, social media can help just as much as it can hinder.

Michal Whelan, leader of the Sexually Adventurous Men project is the manager of Down&Dirty.org – a website which gives men the opportunity to interact and ask the questions that thwey have always wanted to ask in regards to different sexual practices has to use the internet and social media to engage, so we ask him about how he manages that.

This episode for The Informer is hosted by Dean Arcuri on JOY 94.9.

RECENT PODCAST

Religious Discrimination Bill legalises discrimination opponents say | MQFF rebuffs calls to cut film funded by Israeli gov | The Informer – 25 Nov 2021

25 Nov 2021

Business

– The federal government has tabled its long-awaited Religious Discrimination Bill. The legislation would weaken some existing protections for LGBTQIA+ ...